What the town offers
This is Cavan Town
Located on Abbey Street, St. Mary’s Abbey was built by the O’Reillys in 1300. Only a three-storey bell tower and a graveyard from this important Franciscan friary remain. The friary was rebuilt many times after damage in wars and fire. A plaque commemorates Eoghan Roe O’Neill, commander of the Catholic forces in Ireland, interred here 1649. Many prominent members of the O’Reilly family are also buried here, including Myles ‘The Slasher’ and Primate Hugh. Visit www.cavanwalkinghistory.ie for more on the history of Cavan town.
Cavan Tourist Information Office: Johnston Central Library and Farnham Centre, Farnham Street, Cavan t: 049 4331942
Co. Cavan Genealogical Centre, Johnston Central Library and Farnham Centre, Farnham Street t: 049 4361094 e: email@example.com
Dramatic 13th century Norman Castle in the middle of Lough Oughter accessible by water only.
18 holes | Par: 72 | Yards: 7047
Ranked No. 26 in Golf Digest Top 100 courses in Ireland
AA Rosette restaurant in the four-star Cavan Crystal Hotel on the outskirts of Cavan town.
Free wi-fi, internet access, year round lectures, exhibitions and events for all the family.
Wrapped around Lough Oughter. Walking and cycle trails inc the Killykeen Way greenway, picnic benches, lake swimming, coffee, toilets. Home to CABU lodges.
Distance: 12km greenway along lakeshore linking Killykeen Forest Park and Killeshandra
Trailhead: Killykeen or The Pleasure Lake, Cavan Road, Killeshandra